Most of the metals that we touch in daily life may contain nickel. Nickel causes an allergy called allergic contact dermatitis. The allergy shows as rash with redness, itching, cracks in skin and blisters that may ooze. Objects such as zipper chains, watch straps, most of the jewelry, utensils, pens, metal knobs, etc. may all contain nickel. Lets know how to protect if you have nickel allergy.
As happens with allergic reactions, the more you are in contact with an allergic material, the chances of getting allergy increases. You may have been wearing a jewelry for years without any allergy. One fine day, you will find that your favorite piece of jewelry has caused allergic reaction in your skin.
If you have allergy to nickel:
- Avoid handling metal.
- Chose your jewelry carefully. Ensure that it contains no nickel.
- Handle metal with dry hands.
- If your ring is causing allergy, use moisturizing cream below it to reduce the metal contact.
- Whenever you can, avoid wearing jewelry that is suspect.
Article created on: August 1, 2006