- Excess hair in women in the male pattern is known as hirsutism.
- Hirsutism is normally caused by excess male hormones in a woman, or by abnormal reaction to male hormones.
- Anti-androgen drugs can treat the hormonal disorder. You need to consult your doctor.
- Losing weight may sometimes improve the condition.
- Hirsutism may be hereditary.
- As women grow older, they develop excess hair without excess hormones.
- Women in some races have excess hair without having any underlying medical condition.
- Some medicines may cause hirsutism.
Article created on: August 15, 2006